Summer Raw Cabbage Salad a.k.a. Cole Slaw

I am a huge fan of cabbage. When I was a strict vegetarian it must have been its hearty quality and chewy texture that appealed. Now that I am an omnivore, I value cabbage both for its delicious, slightly sweet taste, and its high fiber low calorie ratio. In fact cabbage has the fewest calories and least fat of almost any vegetable. Its a great diet food, and a great food to balance the heavy quality of cooked meat. I find eating meat with vegetables, but without grain to be much lighter and digestible.

Raw Sauerkraut, which is a cinch to make at home, and ridiculously expensive at the health food store, is a great source of pro-biotics for the gut. More on that in a near future post.

I just wanted to give another raw cabbage recipe I made the other day.
Its finally summer here in San Diego, with a decent amount of heat; so Pitta is high. This is a time we can tolerate more raw food, so I have been making more salads.


Here is today's cole slaw made of cabbage, carrot, beet, onion, and spices

Chop cabbage with a knife, to get 3 cups.
I like to first grate a couple of tablespoons.

Cut a small red or white onion in half, and then cut into thin slices.

Shred 1 small carrot and 1 small beet. (I don't own a food processor. For me, they are more trouble than they are worth, most of the time. And I cannot stand the noise and dislike the clean up. Keeping it simple)

Tear about a cup of Arugala. I prefer the Italian variety that is sharper.

Toss With:

1 tbsp Mayonaisse or Veginaisse
1-2 tsp Flax Oil
1-2 tsp Olive Oil
1-2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar

Salt and Pepper to taste
Fresh Marjoram or Oregano from the garden

Enjoy!

I love how the grated beet and carrot color this cabbage salad, and using balsemic vinegar and oil reduce the need for mayo, but i still like the taste a little bit of mayo gives. You should barely see the mayo, not like the insanely thick mayo in commercial coleslaw. And this is fresh and clean, you know who made it and what they put in it when you do it yourself.

Ayurveda The balsamic is slightly sweet, as is the cabbage and carrot, whereas the raw beet, herbs, and arugala are spicy. So this dish has salt, sweet, sour, spicy, bitter, and astringent: all the 6 tastes, which makes it relatively tridoshic.

Only Vata imbalanced folk would want to avoid this, both because it is raw and it is cabbage. Raw veggies elevate Vata. But a balanced Vata in Summer could enjoy this, and any combination of Pitta or Kapha can probably do very well with this dish in moderation.



copyright eyton shalom, june 2010 all rights reserved, use with permission
Ayurveda, Acupuncture, and Chinese Medicine in San Diego
http://www.bodymindwellnesscenter.com

Comments